What is a Composter?
“An effective, economical and sustainable solution”
Our food waste composters offer an on-site reduction solution that is user friendly and minimize odour and pests. Our machines offer many advantages over other waste management solutions including:
- EFFICIENCY – turn food waste into compost in 24 hours and reduce waste volume
- FLEXIBILITY – input food waste and offload compost at your convenience
- ECONOMICAL – reduce waste management costs
- SPACE SAVING – reduce the need for multiple storage bins
- HEALTH PERCEPTION – odour controlled and sealed doors to deter pests
- SUSTAINABLE – divert waste from landfill and produce a reusable by-product
- HYGIENIZATION -eliminate potentiall harmful pathogens and bacteria from the compost (conforms to European Union Regulation (EC) No. 142/2011)
- YOUR CONTRIBUTION TO SAVING THE PLANET
The Food Waste Composters compost food scraps, peelings and left-over food. Other products like cardboard and compostable packaging can also be composted. This offers and on-site waste reduction solution that is user friendly and minimises odour and pests. Utilising microbes and heat, food waste is reduced in volume by up to 90% and transformed into nutrient-rich soil in only 24 hours. The output is a compost that can be used in various horticultural applications.
Why compost food waste
Food waste going into landfill creates methane gas – one of the gasses that contributes to global warming. By composting food waste methane gas can be reduced, and by decreasing the number of waste pick-ups per week, your carbon footprint is also reduced.
How does it work?
“The natural composting process – sped up”
The composting chamber has internal rotating arms that mix the compost, airflow is introduced via a ventilation fan. The microorganisims introduced on start up of the machine, in conjunction with the microbes from the food waste, are activated and multiply under the regulated temperatures of the tank. The microorganisms are active in temperatures of 50ºC or higher, posing no threat to humans or animals. For hygiene, the temperature of the tank is raised to 70ºC for one hour at the end of the composting process, to eliminate all harmful bacteria. The deodorizer complements the composting machine by absorbing and reducing foul odours, providing an odour-controlled environment.
Additional food waste and compostables can then be added and the process repeated, however unloading of the composter should only occur once every 2-3 weeks.
Compostable packaging and cardboard can be added to the food waste. If the packaging and cardboard content is high it may be necessary to add moisture. The microbes need a balanced diet and if only packaging and cardboard is composted it would be similar to our entire diet consisting solely of biscuits and crisps!
What are the benefits of a Food Waste Composter?
- Turn food waste into compost in 24 hours and reduce waste volume
- Fully automatic
- Input food waste and offload compost at your convenience
- Reduce waste management costs
- Reduce or eliminate need for waste collection
- Reduce the need for multiple composting bins
- Odour controlled and sealed doors deter pests attracted to food waste
- Clear tank without smell or noise
- Divert waste from landfill and produce a reusable by-product
- Produce compost for internal use or donate to local community gardens or farms
- Feeding nutrients back into the soil and earth
- Eliminate potentially harmful pathogens and bacteria from the compost (conforms to EU Regulation No. 142/2011)
CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
- Strengthens Corporate Social Responsibility mandate
- Satisfies the current desire of the general public to reduce landfill
- Turns a waste product into a highly effective compost
What do I do with the Compost
The compost from the composters will be very nutrient rich and can be used in various horticulture applications in a 1:10 compost to soil ratio. Compost can be used in gardens or horticulture applications such as organic fertilizer to grow a variety of crops.