How to use the Food Waste Composter
- Ensure the unit is plugged in and switched on at the wall.
- Simply open the lid, pour the food in and close the lid again. You do this whenever and as often as you wish. You do not need to wait for food to finish composting before topping up.
- Once the lid is closed, the unit will automatically continue operation. Over time , the paddles will rotate, the unit will heat up, and the fan will operate automatically to help accelerate the composting process. The unit may emit steam during this time when the lid is opened.
What you can compost
Basically you can compost anything that you can eat, cooked or raw, including:
- Meat and fish
- Small bones such as fish and chicken bones
- Fruit and vegetables
- Egg shells and most seafood shells such as lobster and mussel shells
- Bread, crackers, grain foods
- Fast foods
- Dairy foods
To obtain optimum results chop up larger pieces of food to allow the food to compost more quickly.
What You Should NOT Compost
Avoid placing hard food items in the composter such as:
- Large bones
- Oyster or scallop shells
Do not compost:
- Waste cooking oils
- Waste cooking fats
Also, you should not compost non-food material, even if is biodegradable, such as:
- Wood (eg chopsticks, matches)
- Paper or cigarettes